Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Antidepressant Withdrawal Induced Dental Pain, Distress and Sensitivity

Antidepressant Withdrawal Induced Dental Pain, Distress and Sensitivity

Sensational Saturday wishes to everyone at IAWP!

I just needed to start a thread on this topic as means to momentarily release some of the pain that I have been enduring for so, so long.

I can't write much about this topic ATM but I will post more when I'm able to talk about it, along with a couple of research articles that I have.

Right now, I'm just trying to endure the pain as best as I can and I try to distract via humour or supporting others or pretending that I'm some divine Goddess of Supreme Proportions (LOL) as a means to transport my mind into another dimension but, I'm having a MOMENT (lol) and I hope you will bare with me.

Worth noting: I have been through so many prior C/T WD experiences and although I was plagued with just about every WD symptom one can experience, I NEVER had this particular symptom with any of the other drugs (benzos, MAOI, SSRI's etc.) but with this TCA (Doxepin) the dental pain has been severe and long lasting.

I keep thinking I need to see a dentist but I know this pain is WD induced since, it will rotate to different areas and will also manifest in my simultaneous pain in ALL of my teeth.

These TCA (especially the sedating ones) are very powerful ADs............so much so that they are capable of dampening down C/T WD states from multiple drugs. The reason I know is because I've lived the reality.

Has anyone else dealt with this symptom? I do know of people in benzo WD who have endured such and I have to believe that AD produce the same WD symptom as well but I haven't seen many people report this.

Anyway, most of all I guess it would help me most right now just to receive some kind of nurturing words if anyone feels comfortable doing so since, I feel like I'm breaking down at this point. Although the long and massive wave has just lifted, I'm still left with the regular cycling of symptoms, not to mention many psychological tortures that are enough to deal with.

This dental pain is no picnic to endure and I can't take any pain killers since, doing so will high-jack my CNS.

Good news is: I don't endure this pain while sleeping. I try to focus on being grateful for this but keep in mind that I usually only sleep for 3 - 4 hours straight each night so, I am left with the majority of my day in pain.

I wrote more than I had planned. I suppose I've released some frustration which was a good thing but I better stop talking about it now because it will make me worse.

I better go into another thread and try to distract my mind via humour.

Thanks for listening! I very much appreciate that you all are making me feel so safe to express my vulnerabilities.

With Love and Appreciation in my Heart,

Samsara

Thought I should add a couple of points in an effort save the energy of others:

I floss my teeth multiple times per day (each time after consuming a snack or meal).

I brush with Sensodyne toothpaste in an effort to reduce tooth sensitivity as much as possible but these religious attempts don't appear to provide any relief other than protect my teeth from developing cavities etc. (which is important of course).

I also considered the fact that I may be over-doing the oral hygiene thing but I have no choice since, any type of food or beverage remaining on my teeth makes the pain even worse. Even if I just drink a bit of apple juice, my teeth will feel horribly coated with a film of what I have no words to describe but it forces me to brush my teeth.

And my teeth become even more painful after brushing.

Also, even teeth that have been root-canalled are in pain. So unbelieveably insane this WD is.

Samsara

Hey, Sam. Just wanted to ensure you, that from all that it looks like, your dental pain is WD. I've been going through similar (with the extra "spice-up" of WD-induced bruxism). The good news is that there're days when it lets up a bit, and it's still undoubtedly better than in early WD.

So good to hear you don't experience it in your sleep - this temporary relief, however short, is very important. Just hang in there a little bit more - the relief may be just round the corner. Which month off is it for you right now?

Here goes an emoticon to distract your thoughts a bit from the symptoms ---->
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Hey, Sam. Just wanted to ensure you, that from all that it looks like, your dental pain is WD. I've been going through similar (with the extra "spice-up" of WD-induced bruxism). The good news is that there're days when it lets up a bit, and it's still undoubtedly better than in early WD.

So good to hear you don't experience it in your sleep - this temporary relief, however short, is very important. Just hang in there a little bit more - the relief may be just round the corner. Which month off is it for you right now?

Here goes an emoticon to distract your thoughts a bit from the symptoms ---->

Hey Luc.......

thank you for responding and for sharing since, doing so has allowed me to consider something that I hadn't thought of today, amid the pain. You mentioned bruxism and like you, this is also a WD symptom that I deal with but lately, I notice that it's been worse, and I'm wondering if this is WHY my tooth pain has intensified today.

My upper right molar teeth along with my bottom molars (right side) are all in such pain today as well has headache (right side of head). I pray that the bruxism is the cause since, I've been concerned that I have some type of abcess developing which could be the case IF the bruxism has produced a fine crack in a filling.

I'm just waiting it out praying that the pain will ease since, I don't want to be exposed to antibiotics, not to mention root canal and pain killers.

I did wake up this morning noticing that I was clenching my jaw (right side). This may be WHY I"m in worse pain although I have had this before. It's so hard to know IF one should go to a dentist or if one should wait it out since, abcesses are not something that one should delay getting treatment for.

I will wait out today and hope that it passes. Thank you for the emoticon.

Sorry to hear that you suffer from similar pain.

BTW, in two days I will be 30 months and 3 weeks post taper.

thank you again for your response.

Could everyone please send some telepathic healing pain removal energy to me when you have a moment in your day. I would really appreciate it a lot!

Samsara

BTW, just to save anyone the trouble of posting "mouth guard" as a recommendation for bruxism. I did have one made, years ago (which was expensive BTW) but I was unable to keep it in my mouth all night long so that was a waste of time and money (at least for ME)..

I do know of others who have obtain relief and benefit from such guards so I'm certainly not discrediting the value of such.

Samsara

1. Sensitive teeth. I have had pain move around my teeth and gums -- more so in earlier w/d, although I still get more pain when my hayfever is bad than I ever did before w/d. Several times, I was afraid I had a cavity, but it never turned out to be a cavity, and the pain moved on to another spot.

2. Film. I had this and read about it on pp. Many people seem to get a slimy film that forms easily on their teeth, during meds use and for awhile after. I no longer have this film.

3. Jaw tension and teeth. I didn't exactly grind my teeth, but I kind of "held" my jaw super-tight, and, falling asleep, I would involuntarily clamp down on my tongue. This was so bad, that I had an open wound on my tongue that didn't heal for months....years? I wore a cheap mouth guard some of the time, but had dreams of choking! So that was a trade-off....Anyway, this has gotten much, much better. I only do the clamping thing about once every three months now, and my general jaw tension has slowly gotten better.

I have to really work on this tension, though. And one thing that helped, and was an alternative to the mouth guard, was to stretch my mouth open as wide as I could and hold it there, several times, before going to sleep.

A dentist told me that jaw tension is very characteristic of neuro damage.

4. Focusing and breathing into the pain. I'm positive you know this technique, but I forget it regularly, so here goes. You focus and breathe into the pain, and sometimes that makes it break up into pieces and dissolve.

I'm definitely sending you extra healing and soothing energy.......now! This is just unbelievable, isn't it? The parade of symptoms? The duration? We are healing, and it is getting better, albeit too damn slowly. I'm glad you asked for support.

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    1. Sensitive teeth. I have had pain move around my teeth and gums -- more so in earlier w/d, although I still get more pain when my hayfever is bad than I ever did before w/d. Several times, I was afraid I had a cavity, but it never turned out to be a cavity, and the pain moved on to another spot.

First off, thank you so much for responding Sheila! Yes, I understand how hayfever can create dental pain. I'm so sorry you have to contend with such. I'm sure as you more fully recover this will be less of a problem.

Being as I'm 30 months and 3 weeks post rapid taper I'm just shocked at how bad symptoms can still be. During my brutual taper, I was in excrutiating dental pain for two solid months straight but I was too violently ill to go to the dentist. I was in such a severe state of terror but bedriddenly sick that I couldn't get out but I remember be so afraid that I would have to have all of my teeth extracted. Then, one day it dawned on me "this must be WD". I was too out of mind in WD torture and thus, didn't make the connection for the longest time. Anyway, eventually the extreme daily non-stop pain lifted.

However, I have various degrees of this pain still playing out and rotating etc. It never really goes away but is tolerable some days which feels like a gift.

2. Film. I had this and read about it on pp. Many people seem to get a slimy film that forms easily on their teeth, during meds use and for awhile after. I no longer have this film.

Yes, I have about these reports however, I don't experience that. Rather, it is the food or drink that creates this film that I immediately have to remove since, it creates tooth pain and sensitivity.

3. Jaw tension and teeth. I didn't exactly grind my teeth, but I kind of "held" my jaw super-tight, and, falling asleep, I would involuntarily clamp down on my tongue. This was so bad, that I had an open wound on my tongue that didn't heal for months....years? I wore a cheap mouth guard some of the time, but had dreams of choking! So that was a trade-off....Anyway, this has gotten much, much better. I only do the clamping thing about once every three months now, and my general jaw tension has slowly gotten better.

I have to really work on this tension, though. And one thing that helped, and was an alternative to the mouth guard, was to stretch my mouth open as wide as I could and hold it there, several times, before going to sleep.

A dentist told me that jaw tension is very characteristic of neuro damage.

Oh my gosh re: the tongue ulceration. So sorry you had to suffer in that way. That sounds horrible! Thank you for the tip re: stretching the mouth. I'm going to give that a try. No doubt neuro damage causes all these symptoms.

4. Focusing and breathing into the pain. I'm positive you know this technique, but I forget it regularly, so here goes. You focus and breathe into the pain, and sometimes that makes it break up into pieces and dissolve.

Very good advice but you are right re: I am aware of this and I religiously engage. However, I do have to place reminder notes around the house to alert me to BREATHE, BREATHE AND BREATHE my way through this journey. As you mention, sometimes we forget when we are tense, anxious and most of all, when we are out of minds (crazy) with intense WD symptoms.

I don't think I would have made it through WD without utilzing breathing techniques.

I'm definitely sending you extra healing and soothing energy.......now! This is just unbelievable, isn't it? The parade of symptoms? The duration? We are healing, and it is getting better, albeit too damn slowly. I'm glad you asked for support.

Unbelievable indeed! Thank you ever so much for sending the "energy" and also for the adorable emoticon. Both are psychologically therapeutic to receive.

Much More Beautiful Healing to You Sheila!

Samsara

Samsara,

when i read your posts, you always crunch a handfull of almonds, almonds are hard, so use a mixer to help your teeths (in withdrawal they are fragile).
    Another thing is to not brush too much often to not irritate gums, help your teeths when eat, with time they will be stronger; avoid sugar, citrus;
    i do not know if this advices can help you; they work for me;
    i see at 61, i have no more my young strong teeths, unfortunately; and if i eat hard food, i have also pains...
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Samsara,

when i read your posts, you always crunch a handfull of almonds, almonds are hard, so use a mixer to help your teeths (in withdrawal they are fragile).
    Another thing is to not brush too much often to not irritate gums, help your teeths when eat, with time they will be stronger; avoid sugar, citrus;
    i do not know if this advices can help you; they work for me;
    i see at 61, i have no more my young strong teeths, unfortunately; and if i eat hard food, i have also pains...
    Stan,

thank you so very much for taking the time to share and also for your concern. I very much appreciate it!

I understand what you mean re: the almonds but funny thing is the almonds do not bother my teeth however, eating an orange today (the pulp) from the orange felt like HUGE PRESSURE on my teeth. It doesn't make sense. One would think the almonds would have been more of a problem but not so.

BTW, I eat almonds because they are a source of protein and magnesium.

It's now 6:30 pm and I've been in pain all day......non-stop and I've stayed on-line to distract myself since, if I don't distract I will not survive the pain. Believe me, I'm not exaggerating the degree of what I'm enduring today.

Yes, you are so right re: brushing too often wil irritate the gums and I'm also dealing with this as well but I have to brush. I bought a sensodyne toothbrush that has SOFT bristles.

I try not to eat sugar but I do eat a lot of fruit. Yes, citrus is too acidic on the teeth but I can't live without oranges (lol). I LOVE Oranges but I don't eat too many.

I take Vit C (daily) to keep my gums and immune system healthy.

This on-going tooth pain is definitely WD induced and I hope todays situation eases up by tomorrow. IF it does then I will know that there is no other cause.

BTW, you have given very good advice and also caring concern and this means a lot! Thank you Stan!

Samsara

pains are very important part in withdrawal, i have ribcage pain (maybe muscles), many have back pain, some knee, but apparently everybody has pain, maybe you have teeth pain, with time the pain diminish, or go on another place(i had back low pain, it is gone, hip pain, it is nearly gone, neck pain, it has very diminished, only costal pain spinal burning will not go away since a big while, but the other come sometime back and go away)maybe it is the same for you...
    i am very sorry, i go to look TV before bed and thought i would write you a word...
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish