Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exercising mice release fractalkine & get smarter

Exercising mice release fractalkine & get smarter

Discovery may delay dementia

THE UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND
    TUESDAY, 15 MAY 2012

The molecule fractalkine may underpin future dementia therapies, according to the researchers.

Scientists at The University of Queenlsand's Queensland Brain Institute are one step closer to developing new therapies for treating dementia.

QBI's Dr Jana Vukovic said the work was aimed at understanding the molecular mechanism that may impair learning and memory in the ageing population.

“Ageing slows the production of new nerve cells, reducing the brain's ability to form new memories,” said Dr Vokovic, who performed the work in the laboratory of Professor Perry Bartlett, the Director of QBI at The University of Queensland.

"But our research shows for the first time that the brain cells usually responsible for mediating immunity, microglia, have an inhibitory effect on memory during ageing.

“Furthermore, they have shown that a molecule produced by nerve cells, fractalkine, can reverse this process and stimulate stem cells to produce new neurons.”

The discovery, published in The Journal of Neuroscience, came after QBI scientists observed that the increased production of new neurons in mice that were actively running was due to the release of fractalkine in the hippocampus – the brain structure responsible for specific types of learning and memory.

Professor Bartlett said it had been known for some time that exercise increased the production of new nerve cells in the hippocampus in young and even aged mice.

“But this study found that it is fractalkine that appears to be specifically mediating this effect by making the microglia produce factors that activate the stem cells that produce new nerve cells,” he said.

“Once the cells are activated they divide and produce new cells, which underpin the animal's ability to learn and form memories.

"This means that fractalkine may form the basis for the development of future therapies.

“The discovery is especially exciting because we have found that older animals suffering cognitive decline showed significantly lower levels of fractalkine.

“We are seeking ways of increasing fractalkine levels in patients with cognitive decline, and hoping this may be a new frontline therapy in treating dementia.”

Dr Vukovic said that until relatively recently, it was thought the adult brain was incapable of generating new neurons.

“But work from Professor Bartlett's laboratory over the past 20 years has demonstrated that the brains of adult animals, including humans, retain the ability to make new nerve cells,” she said.

“The challenge is to find out how to stimulate this production in the aged animal and human where production has slowed.”

The latest work was a significant step toward achieving this goal, she said.

The article published is titled "Microglia modulate hippocampal neural precursor activity in response to exercise and aging". Its authors are Jana Vukovic, Michael J. Colditz, Daniel G. Blackmore, Marc J. Ruitenberg, Perry F. Bartlett.

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20121405-23385.html

http://in.reuters.com/video/2012/05/...deoChannel=105
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche

Thanks, Stan!

exercising penguin >>
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

One more penguin. This one is stretching ----->
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thanks Stan, here comes my bicycle racer.
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche

I didn't realize how many exercising animals we have....
    Last edited by Luc; 05-23-2012 at 07:04 PM.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    I didn't realize how many exercising animals we have....
    LOL. So true.

Sorry about post 6, Sheila - I wanted to quote you, but hit the "edit" button instead. I hope I didn't change anything there.

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Me exercizing when I am in a window...
    In a wave---much more difficult...
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

Françoise in the very near future >>

Sheila's goal for herself >>

-- Holger Kalweit