Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: funny turn

funny turn

Don't let the title fool you , it was NOT FUNNY ! in fact it was very scary but I just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this. It is very hard to describe but will do my best.
    I was in a food store and suddenly stared to loose my grip on the reality of my surroundings, I felt like I would collapse but I didn't but the sounds and colours and people all seemed unreal. It only lasted a few seconds but really shook me up.

Yeah, I’ve had this happen – only since I started taking Paxil. Never before. It could be derealization. It could be vertigo / dizziness. It could be a shift in blood pressure. It’s unpleasant and alarming, but it’s just par for the course in this syndrome. It has never led to anything else for me. You might think of it as a kind of muted “zap.” Remember zaps? Nobody on this board seems to be having zaps these days....

<----- squirrel, when she's happy, which she will be, more and more
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Squirrel,

as Sheila says, i never had these symptoms before meds, so it is paxil related;
    i had since last 4 years, maybe 3 or 4 times a kind of scary thing in brain, during a short time of 1 or 2 seconds, broken from environment, vision abnormal, terror, seems as a blood brain stroke, and after i have fear about my life and slowly come back
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Hi Squirrel

I get this a lot, I can be talking to someone and everything goes into the distance and I shake myself and it seems to pass, but really scary

poodlebell

Thanks everyone for the reassurance had this a few times now. Its like a short circuit in the brain.

Squirrel, this is absolutely normal. Do not worry. Looks like derealization. Feels scary, but it's nothing malevolent.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Squirrel as it was told, it is derealization .I had it many many years ago, when I was young and it was really scary.I believed I became insane. I asked my doctor if I was becoming schizophrenic...It was the first time I was put under SSRIs.
    I had derealization in withdrawal too, but milder.
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

This was physical mostly I felt like I was just gonna go! pass out or die!

It may have also been a panic attack which is accompanied by derealisation. This "pass out or die" thing you describe is what it exactly feels like. Though not as often as in the past, I still experience it from time to time. The feeling in such moments is crazy - you get terriblyweak and you have a feeling as if you're going into a stroke mode, which is certainly not. There are many things that can trigger it - stress, over-exertion, even fluorescent lights.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

7 years off meds and still rare kind stroke nerves!!! i never, never had something as this in my life, had panic, fear manageable but not this crap
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish