Thread: Curcumin Could Preserve Walking Ability Among Spinal Cord Injury Patients

Curcumin Could Preserve Walking Ability Among Spinal Cord Injury Patients

The Huffington Post *|* By Amanda L. Chan
    Posted: 06/30/2012 11:26 pm Updated: 07/05/2012 8:54 am

A curry spice may do more than just add some flavor to your dishes -- it could also help to preserve the ability to walk in people who've had a spinal cord injury, according to a new animal study.

Published in the Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, researchers from the University of California, Los Angeles, found that consuming lots of omega-3 fatty acids -- which have a myriad of health benefits, in their own right -- and curcumin -- found in the curry spice turmeric -- is linked with maintenance of brain functioning and reparation of nerve cells after damage to the spinal cord.

"While surgery can relieve the pressure and prevent further injury, it can't repair damage to the cells and nerve fibers," study researcher Dr. Langston Holly, an associate professor of neurosurgery at the UCLA School of Medicine, said in a statement. "We wanted to explore whether dietary supplementation could help the spinal cord heal itself."

The study was done in rats who all had something similar to the human cervical myelopathy, which is a spine-related disorder that affects walking. One group of rats was fed a diet high in sugar and saturated fats (mimicking a Western diet), while the second group of rats was fed the same diet but with docosahexaenoic acid (found in omega-3s) and curcumin. The third group of rats was just served a regular rat diet.

Then, the researchers examined how the rats walked week after week. Even after as little as three weeks, researchers found that rats that just ate the saturated fat and sugar diet had more walking problems than the other rats, while rats with the DHA and curcumin had fewer walking problems after six weeks of observation.

Researchers also wanted to see how the diets may have impacted the actual spinal cords. They found that the rats fed the saturated fat and sugar diet had more evidence of damage to the cell membrane. Meanwhile, rats that were fed the DHA and curcumin only had evidence of as much damage as the rats fed the regular rat diet.

In 2010, UCLA researchers published a study in the journal Molecular Cancer Therapeutics showing that curcumin could actually make chemotherapy more powerful against tumors in the head and neck, MyHealthNewsDaily reported.

Specifically, curcumin seemed to enhance cisplatin, which is the chemo drug used to treat those specific cancers, according to MyHealthNewsDaily.

And earlier this year, researchers from Chiang Mai University found that curcumin may help to lower the risk of heart attack among recent heart-bypass patients when taken alongside the normal drug treatment regimen, Reuters reported. That study was published in the American Journal of Cardiology.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...=healthy-livin
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche

omega-3 and curcumin for me, i have spine nerves deteriorate

Great Stan, I'm so glad you found this post helpful. Also, your photos are terrific.
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Very interesting especially for me who have walking problems.
    Thanks to Stan for the photos!
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

I take turmeric capsules daily. I don't know for sure what they have done for me, but I've read a lot about their anti-inflammatory benefit.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

How much of Omega 3 do you take, Stan?
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

i take no supplement
    i have classic oil with omega-3 and eat each day a fish who has omega-3 , mackerel , actually it is very cheap, before i eat salmon (it has disgust me with time)
    i will see for curcumin these days how it is sold (maybe in curry?)
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

That's a good idea, too. In the last month or so, I've been eating much more fish than in the past. By the way, mackerel is almost on the top of the n-3 index. Should definitely help.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.