Oof. It sure ain't easy. First of all, there are very different theories about what causes emotionality or mental illness. Then, you add in exposure to a substance -- in this case, Paxil.

Causality of mental states is something there is vast disagreement about at this point in our evolution.

What I like to do is cover my bases and use a three-part model. In any given situation when I'm in distress, I look at the situation as having a neurological component (I believe I am recovering from brain changes from medication); a psychodynamic psychological component (I believe my repetitive experiences in my early, formative relationships have shaped the lens through which I interpret life still), and a cosmic component (I believe everything is happening for a reason, to orchestrate my evolution to greater wisdom and happiness).

Sometimes, one of these components will seem much more relevant to a given situation. But, sometimes, it really feels like the smartest thing to do is to hold that all three are true at the same time.

Easy, right? Ha!