Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Be kind to yourself

Be kind to yourself

Thanks to Sheila who suggested this to me, so I have been wondering how to do it????!!!!
    What do others do to be kind to themselves?

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    To be kind with myself is one of the hardest challenges in w/d. I developed a hate of myself during the 2nd year of w/d.Family and relatves don't help us either to get a better image of ourselves. Months have passed and I slowly found again a small self confidence.I think that people have to accept me with my difficulties and they are not allowed to judge me.They don't know the way I have passed through.They have no idea of the hell it has been.Now after 4 years off the drugs I am proud of myself.
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

Quote Originally Posted by Cosette123 View Post
    Now after 4 years off the drugs I am proud of myself.
    And rightly so, Cosette! You've come a long way, you haven't given up. You know you're improving, too. This part of the path will be for you easier than all the earlier one.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Great idea for a thread, gD!

One thing I do is talk to myself out loud as kindly as I can all freaking day long. I try to reassure myself, praise myself, explain things to myself. I try to stop myself from being overly self-critical (while also trying to work honestly on my myself). I spend a lot of time thinking of a way of looking at things that will make me feel more calm, hopeful, open, constructive.

I have really gotten so much better at this. Practice does make a difference, even in w/d.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Françoise -- being kind to ourselves in w/d (or ever) is really the hardest challenge and the most important thing. You are doing great with standing up for yourself, setting limits on unkind behavior towards you, and being proud of yourself!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

maybe, i am not sure, i try to survive, live and adapt to my miserable life, trying to not think about, but have a feeling of sadness about my life and am resigned in front of the power of fate(i am agnostic)
    apparently, kind with myself is something i do not know what it means

I am with you on this one Stan. I keep on thinking its my fault I am not better.

GrandmaD,

When I was a child, I can remember my mom saying it was the little things in life that mean a lot. And I find as I have gotten older, I have found more and more deeper meaning in valuing my cup of coffee in the moment. And during those times that I am able to enjoy a small act captured in time, I find I'm also being kind to myself by the simple act of allowing myself to create those moments.
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Let us be kind to ourselves,friends!

Un petit café for everybody

and for our "burgundic" friend of Netherlands:
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

Quote Originally Posted by Cosette123 View Post
    Let us be kind to ourselves,friends!

Un petit café for everybody

and for our "burgundic" friend of Netherlands:
    There will sure come a day when we will all meet in a cafè like the one on our website's home page.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.