Thread: Wash Out Period When Switching Psyche Drugs.

Wash Out Period When Switching Psyche Drugs.

Many times when patients experience adverse drug reactions, or intense WD symptoms when reducing AD too quickly the doctor will attempt to switch drugs or add more drugs into the mix.

I am posting these two links so people will be aware that there is a WASH OUT period that should be followed when eliminating one drug and before introducing a new drug into the equation.

I quickly found these two links this afternoon and wanted to post them just so people can at least become aware of the subject in order to protect themselves.

Keep in mind that I'm only posting two sources of information on this subject and they may not be the best sources. I personally prefer to obtain info. from many, many sources, compare the info. to find commonalities and/or differences however due to current sensitivities to the computer I have been unable to engage in the type of extensive research which I prefer to engage in.

One thing I wish to relay is that: It's not prudent to solely rely on only one or two sources of information since doing so provides a very limited understanding and rarely represents the whole picture of any given subject matter.

BTW, this information is not only applicable to AD's but to all psyche drugs. The half-life of the drug is an important factor. Please click on the links to obtain a more in depth knowledge about the subject as a means to protect yourself.

Worth mentioning, I do not align with the recommendations in regard to how quickly to eliminate (taper) one drug as well as the time line to introduce another. As we all know, these recommendations seem like an aggressive approach which is not suitable for many patients.

Samsara

__________________________________________________ ____________

http://vitualis.wordpress.com/2006/0...tidepressants/

Excerpt from the above link: "When changing from one antidepressant to another, the key factor is the half life of the original drug. The longer the half life, the longer the “washout period” and the longer one has to wait before commencing the second drug. Similarly, the longer the half life or the first agent, the higher the likelihood of side-effects if the second agent is started too early."
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

http://www.psychresidentonline.com/A...mendations.htm

Psychopharmacology: Switching Antidepressants

Recommended Washout Period (in days) There is a graphic chart that can be viewed at the above link.

The more critical recommendations are in bold

Risks of toxicity are greater with higher dosage regimens and an inadequate washout period.
    Some urgent cases may necessitate shorter delays in switching.
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Forgot to mention that these "cold switches" or rapid drug switches are a risk and also could be dangerous so I am NOT advocating such. RAther, I'm sharing this information so people can become informed and thus, reduce the risk of experiencing serious adverse drug reactions. Doctors rarely inform their patients about these risks and many times fail to follow the MINIMUM time frame protocol for switching psyche drugs.

Samsara