Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: kindling effect

Yes, after cxareful consideration and with the help of people on here I know whats happening...

I CTd in Jan, now when I think of the 6 months between then and the panic attack I can see what would have been w/d I did alot of crying and I also remember thinking muliple times, god those ADs must have really leveled me out because Im a wreck, maybe I need them.

I had the big panic attack and felt really bad the next day too, then I went to get the cit back.

Now, my body, brain and cns were in a bad place and I threw fuel on the fire by starting the cit again, well that sent me into total crisis.

Even though I messed around with the dose for the first 4 days I then stuck on the 20 for 6 weeks and just got worse and worse, well, not as bad as the first 4 weeks but not good.

Yes I then went up and down for a bit 10, 20, 30, 20, 10 etc but I feel better now than when I did on the 20 everyday.

The question now is what to do now. I came on my period this morning so that explains the meltdown yesterday. Do you think I could stabalise further on the 10, is it worth sticking this out for longer? By that I mean is there a chance I will feel better than this by taking the 10 for longer?

OR..Should I drop to 5 and stabalise there? maybe on 5 I would be able to go back to work, at the moment I just couldnt I cant even think about it.

All I want is to get to a point where life is livable and then take it from there.

If only I had known it was w/d when that panic attack came on then I would have tried to ride it out instead I made things a whole lot worse.

Like all of us Im just looking for what desicion is gonna make me feel better quicker, if thats stay on 10 then I will try it, but how do I know when I have felt better when dropping the dose? 5 maybe just right to get me back on track?

For my past 2 periods, the first time I tried to walk to the shops with my hubby, (this was week 3 of 20mg) I got to the end of the street, couldnt take the anxiety and aggitation came home, started screaming, tried to cry but couldnt and locked myself away in the bedroom shaking and retching and in a very VERY bad way, I remember dreading my hubby and son getting home because I couldnt handle the noise.

period number 2 - I had been on 10mg for 4 days and had been feeling better but then I felt my pms kick in and I couldnt handle the raised anxiety again, I went to the park with my son (so an improvement from the month before) but it was HIGHLY uncomfortable. I came home and went to bed and cried my eyes out, I went to bed and stayed there for a week, not because it took my symptoms away but because it was easier to handle the symtoms in that quiet place with no responsibility for my son.

Si this time around, I have been downstairs for well over a week, for the past 2 days leading up to my period I have felt a little worse than ususal (usual being mid.moderate constant anxiety, low mood etc) and had some of those lovely rage and anger feelings. But I havent taken to my bed.

So the big question is...is there a chance I will improve from this is i continue with the 10 or will I need a drop to feel any improvements???
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Additional two things seem at play here - first, there is this over-exertion from a couple of days ago (even a tiny change in the normal rhythm, change of diet, extra stress can aggravate symptoms a lot) and second, the physiology of the difficult days you're going through right now. Waiting it out and taking it from there would seem the best option I think.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

thanks for the advice as always guys, I guess Im a bit needy, sorry about that.

also dont forget the cold/flu type thing (not paxil flu as whole family has it) I guess that counts into the mix too?

Well today so far so good so I hope that things really are starting to stabalisde. so maybe I should stick to 10mg for another 4 weeks, until my next period and see if there is any improvement?

I have another 6 months full pay to have from work so thats not a major issue, and then 7 months half pay if I need to stay off.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Im having a moment - and worrying that I will never heal, my anxiety has changed up and decided to come on stronger in the evenings lately, sheila, are you fully recovered? do you think I will truly heal?

I honestly just don't have a strong sense yet whether you should stay at 10 or try 5. On the one hand, we don't want to rock the boat and you look like you're stabilizing well on 10. On the other hand, you have not been on the reinstatement for very long, so maybe you should go down a bit more. But if you do drop to 5, then I strongly think that you should taper very slowly from then on. I mean the 10% every 2-3 weeks thing. Because you see that you were already in w/d before you reinstated.

I was on more meds than you and for longer, and I am still recovering, but I am way, way more stable and calm than you are, so you can see it does get better. I am absolutely certain you will heal. There is no limit to neuroplasticity. The brain keeps changing and developing in response to current conditions. You will sensibly, slowly get off the med, and then you will do all the right things to make yourself stronger and more resilient -- exercise, psychotherapy, relaxation techniques, pursuing your passions, eating well. It's a sure thing.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Iggy, we would like to give you the best advice possible. Sometimes, to choose which way to go is very hard. There are pros and cons to both options. Sheila's post puts it in a perfect way. The final decision is in your hands. What I can tell you for sure is that are bodies are designed for reaching homeostasis again. You will be healing.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Well today has been AWFUL! I know its probably because of my period but I woke up with TERRUBLE anxiety, I tried to get up but it was just too much, I had to go and lie down in the bedroom with my eyes closed and I stayed like that for 3 hours, I couldnt bear even to open my eyes, I had strabge vision, DP and horrible anxiety and depression, I got really confused by sounds and couldnt figure out if they were on the tv downstairs or in my head.

I am now downstairs but dont feel good at all Im anxious although not as strong as earlier and feel very disonnected and foggy.

I just wish this wasnt happening, but it is so I have to accept it and try to live this life, whatever it is but its so hard and so distressing and so ALIEN to me.

I just hope that when my period passes I start to feel a little more human again.

Im going to the drs on friday for a sick note for work so I will ask for the liquid, why dont I try going to 7.5 for the month and see how that goes? i think that maybe the wisest option. after my hellish morning I have settled a little bit, Im still foggy and have dp but the anxiety is not as strong although still there. 7.5 for a month could be a good compromise and see if I feel any better on that.

You know, I think that's a great idea. I often do that with myself, when I am conflicted about a course of action -- I compromise with myself. 7.5 sounds like a great idea, given all the things we have been discussing.

Don't worry, Iggy. I know you had a hell day. I have had hell days during this recovery. They're so frightening. But, you will get through them. And they will come to an end. I no longer have days like that. You have a lot to look forward to in your life. You will learn something useful from this experience. Maybe you already know what it is. If not, you will eventually. And you'll use what you learn to do something really good for your future.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Jesus!!

well, I got up yesterday morning with things not TOO unbearable, it lasted about an hour, then my dull headache became more powerful, the nagging anxiety went through the roof and I had to lie down in the bedroom, I slipped in and out of very unrestful confused sleep for a few hours, my head was full of rocks and so heavy and painful.

The anxiety was HORRID, and mt brain kept vomitting up wierd memories, some stressful, some just plain weird like parts of story tapes I listened to as a little girl, things I havent thought about in 20 years and more.

Im ashamed to say that it all culminated in the evening with me screaming, crying and hitting myself round the head and scratching my arms trying to draw blood.

God help me, remember I have never had anxiety or depression and had never had a panic attack until 9/10 weeks ago when this all started.

Looking back through my journals this is the time in each month when I have been at my worst, but all I can think of is killing myself to escape this hell. Im not leaving the bedroom, I cant take it. Its not like the horrible feeling go away when Im in the bedroom but I can take it more easily in here, facing my little boy is not an option and its breaking my heart.

Ive sunk into deep deep dis pear and I just want my life back, I dont know if taking the citalopram is making things worse but I feel like flushing the lot and going cold turkey, I dont know what to do.