Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Inflammation

Hybrid View

Inflammation

Yikes -- Pain in knee. Based on when I tapered from 100 to 50 mg six years ago, i was all so sure that I knew what kind of symptoms to expect with this taper --that I would have the same big two symptoms as before--anxiety and nausea. Well, these bones are 6 years older and this time the knee is going bananas. Only a tiny taper amount and I can barely walk.
    I remember Luc you posted about endocrine system (I can't remember where I saw that) and inflammation during w/d, also you mentioned fluid retention. I saw your post about which to use--heat or cold on the inflammation. Any suggestions?
    It's so fantastic to have you as a friend to consult because this is pretty scary. I was going down stairs and the shooting pain was so intense I had to sit down for some time. I found i could walk as long as I don't bend that knee.
    I saw the other post about carrying on, and doing your best even under adversity; that's what I did today, I did my errands and just limped the whole way. I've noticed that several people have posted about when they feel so incapacitated by w/d, they try to look "normal." Today, feeling so handicapped got me thinking about how we're like animals who instinctively hide their injuries so as not to appear vulnerable --we people also don't want others to know we are injured.

You're doing great, annie!

I'm not Luc, but are you taking anything that can cause water retention -- any herb or supplement? This will probably pass, and maybe come and go. Be gentle with it. Maybe drink a lot of water. Try to breathe extra. Gentle massage of the area. Elevate it above your heart for awhile.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Lots of good advice from Sheila. May I also add that in early WD the joint pain (in the knees too) was unbearable in my case. Though it's still there, its intensity has been, even if slowly, going down. In recent months, I have been going the self-accupressure route - to help the blood circulation. Also, my shower has this gimmick that regulates the flow of water - there's an option of intensifying the stream of water and applying it locally.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    May I also add that in early WD the joint pain (in the knees too) was unbearable in my case. Though it's still there, its intensity has been, even if slowly, going down. In recent months, I have been going the self-acupressure route - to help the blood circulation.
    Luc--I think you had posted something about the endocrine system on this site, but now I can't find it. Can you direct me to that? I was wondering what you think is the relationship between AD and joint pain.

thanks Sheila. Fluid retention is what it seems like. I don't know which herbs cause fluid retention (I take cal/mag, vit D, fish oil.) Of course, I suppose salt causes fluid retention. WHen I had plantar fasciitis (which is very painful), tumeric/bromelain worked extremely well. It isn't doing much for my knee. What do you think of ibuprophen, tylenol, aspirin?

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    What do you think of ibuprophen, tylenol, aspirin?
    Personally, I use paracetamol, and in possibly low doses. If anything, I'd avoid aspirin. It might, potentially, cause gastrointestinal ulcers, stomach bleeding, etc. Not trying to scare anyone, just please, be extra cautious - the more so as in WD we are especially prone to such things - all body and organ tissues are very compromised.

Luc--Before I read your post , I tried acupressure. Ibuprofen didn't work, tumeric didn't work, heat or cold didn't work . . . Acupressure helped !!! (Acupressure's Potent Points by Michael Reed Gach) Thank-you traditional chinese medicine . . .because the pain was excruciating and taking a muscle relaxant or opiate will happen when hell freezes over. I just saw ad for Cymbalta (SNRI) now marketed for arthritis. http://www.mannyawards2012.com/cymbalta_imagine.html

Did you know that "cymbalta failed the U.S. approval for Stress Urinary Incontinence amidst concerns over liver toxicity and suicidal events." The review noted that, at best, duloxetine efficacy is "modest and transient, while its adverse effects are numerous and potentially severe." Cymbalta was not approved for SUI because of suicidal events; yet it is approved for major depressive disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    Acupressure helped !!! (Acupressure's Potent Points by Michael Reed Gach) Thank-you traditional chinese medicine . . .because the pain was excruciating and taking a muscle relaxant or opiate will happen when hell freezes over.
    In very many cases, it's simply insufficient blood circulation, but they won't tell you this, b/c it costs nothing. And the same is in 95% of illnesses. What is the Western Medicine good at (and I'm saying it really honestly) is treating trauma cases (accidents, etc.), and a couple of others. And that's about it. In this video below, there's lots of shocking data. You may find it interesting, Annie. We will be downloading next chapters (among them the Big Pharma/the Big Medicine) in the time to come;

That's so great the acupressure worked!

Annie -- I just loathe that Cymbalta commercial every time it comes on! Yeah, take an AD for your knee pain. That's a good idea!

I have two of Michael Reed Gach's books -- very interesting stuff!

FYI -- When the turmeric worked for your plantar, and doesn't work now, is it that you were taking the turmeric before w/d? Because I find that you may need a higher dose of a gentle thing like turmeric to see the benefit in w/d.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Now when I said acupressure worked, I meant I noticed a little improvement. And in this case, a little was alot. I think what's so scary about this condition is how Brave New World it is --due to medical establishment not being alot of help, and we have to blaze the trail ourselves which is scary when you're in pain and wondering if it will ever stop. For me, that's the greatest obstacle to overcome -- a feeling of helplessness. So important to be proactive. So today, I went swimming and was able to have almost a normal workout (one leg kind of dangling)
    Yes, the tumeric worked before for my foot pain when I was not in w/d. Plantar F. is a very painful condition, so at first I was taking ibuprophen (alot) and that was one of my most dramatic experiences with the world of OTC drugs--I got bleeding and was I ever shocked; it was a side effect in the fine print on the label. SO I had to find an alternative and the tumeric/bromelain was very effective. thanks for the point about the dose. Yes, what's going on in my knee is a completely different thing (it's quite swollen) and I really appreciate your suggestion.