Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: akathisia

akathisia

How many of us long termers still experience this.
    I still get it although it is far less intense and does not last as long.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    How many of us long termers still experience this.
    I still get it although it is far less intense and does not last as long.
    squirrel, can you explain specifically how akathisia manefests itself for you? This has been discussed quite a bit over at PP but it seems everyone has their own definition of it. I felt it was something that I had avoided but not sure I know exactly what it is. I don't have the "shakes" except when I am having a breakdown (panic), etc. But I seem to have avoided things like RLS and such.

Akathisia has improved a lot for me. I may still get it (though less intense than in early WD) when I'm ill or have over-exerted myself. And it's the same like in your case, Squirrel - it lasts shorter.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

for me it is like an internal fear like something really terrible has happened all nerves in my body feel on edge I cannot be still cannot concentrate , watch tv, read or anything. It feels far worse than anxiety.

how would you explain it Luc?

i have akathisia, unable to be quiet, to rest, unable to stand quiet, it is mixed with some ataxia, pseudo parkinson, anxiety etc;
    because all this is chemical induced diseases, and not natural diseases; the chemical poison has destroyed everywhere and in random, so we have unknown symptomes; all is pseudo xxx or like xxx
    hopefully there are waves cyclical, so sometime it lessens
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Earlier in WD - burning feeling, restlessness, acid in every cell of the body and mind.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

For me - internal restlessness and an inability to concentrate. I often wonder if it the same as what people with ADHD experience.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

akathisia, and all consuming dread and need to flee, keep moving, get away, terror, the worst the very worst of all.
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

i found some text about:

Tardive akathisia;Dopamine antagonists
    Abstract
    In recent years, there has been increasing recognition that akathisia occurs not only as an acute, self-limited complication of dopamine (DA) antagonist treatment, but also as a persistent form, called tardive akathisia. We present a retrospective analysis of clinical features and therapeutic trials in 52 cases of this disorder. Although most patients developed this disorder after years of DA antagonist treatment (mean = 4.5 years), a significant proportion (34%) developed it within 1 year. The characteristic motor features included frequent, complex stereotyped movements. The legs were most frequently involved, showing marching in place and crossing/uncrossing. Trunk rocking, respiratory grunting and moaning, and complex hand movements such as face rubbing or scratching also occurred. In the 26 patients who were able to discontinue DA antagonists, akathisia persisted for years (mean = 2.7 years, range of 0.3–7 years) until abatement of symptoms or last follow-up. Younger patients were more likely to have remission or therapeutic suppression of akathisia at follow-up. In our experience, the catecholamine-depleting drugs reserpine and tetrabenazine were the most effective agents for suppressing symptoms, producing improvement in 87 and 58% of patients treated, respectively. However, improvement was limited in many patients, and at last follow-up only 33% of patients had complete abatement of their symptoms. In conclusion, tardive akathisia is a particularly disabling form of tardive dyskinesia, frequently persistent for years and often resistant to therapy.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...40208/abstract
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish