Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega-3

At least you have raised ou awareness about omega 3! You might be interested in this article in a "Take 5" magazine I read recently:
    "We need to get these fatty acids from our diet as our body doesn't produce. them. Arthritis, alxheimer's disease and heart disease can all be improved by the inclusion of omega 3 fats in your diet. This essential fatty acid is found in plant and marine foods, especially fish, Atlantic salmon, bluefin tuna and sardines and canola based margarine. Eating 3 serves of oily fish a wek can help make your blood flow cleaner and support the brain which is mostly made of omega 3 fatty acids."

What got me was the last bit: THE BRAIN IS MOSTLY MADE OF OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS! Has anyone heard of that before?

It doesn't say on the list, but lambs brains (which I grew up on and would still eat but they charge through the nose for them now) are very fatty from memory. I wonder if they provide omega 3????? If so, it might be worth paying the exhorbatant price they want for them these days!

gD – Good find! I’m glad your consciousness is being raised about Omega-3.

Yes, the brain is largely composed of Omega-3!

Now, about information overload. Don’t rush yourself, but at this point, I don’t want to make an information summary because I don’t want to tell people what to do. This is too new. There are still too many unknowns. The facts for Omega-3 and SSRI w/d have not been established.

So, just do one or two posts a day. Skim or skip the ones that make your eyes glaze over. Read the ones that are interesting to you. But, it’s very important that you think about the information for yourself and form your own opinion. And it’s very good for your neurological healing for you to gently push yourself to learn things even if it’s challenging. Especially if it’s challenging! You can do it! You’re a researcher by temperament.

If you have a specific question, ask it here or in your Journal thread, and one of us will try to answer it.

Now – about your bottle of fish oil, gD. You are confusing ml (milliliters) with mg (milligrams). I had the same trouble over and over when I was tapering my last bit of Paxil by liquid.

The ml is the amount of liquid you’re taking. It is an irrelevant number content-wise. It just allows you to measure the amount, but it says nothing about what is *in* the amount of liquid.

The mg of EPA + DHA is what’s important to count.

1 ml of your liquid = 271 mg of EPA + DHA

10 ml of your liquid = 2,710 mg of EPA + DHA

So, when you take 1 ml of your liquid, it *contains* 271 mg of EPA + DHA.

When you take 10 ml of your liquid, it contains 2,710 mg of EPA + DHA.

You are currently taking 2,710 mg EPA + DHA.

If you double your daily intake to 20 ml, you will be taking a total of 5,420 mg of EPA + DHA.

1 teaspoon = about 5 ml.

I would *not* double my dose if I were you. I would go up by 1 teaspoon = 5 ml = 1355 mg. In fact, that’s a bigger updose than I really like. My ideal would be for you to go up by only about 500 mg (2 ml) if there were a way to do that. But, if not, give this a try, and then don’t go up for awhile.

It would be best for you to divide your dose into at least two and preferably three times in a day.

I’m going to copy this dosing info into your Journal thread so you have it there to for reference.

I am also going to copy it into a file I’m making to keep track of everyone’s benefits / side effects of updosing on Omega-3. So, let me know what you decide to do. Also, do me a favor and double check that it says 271 mg EPA + DHA per 1 ml. Also, let me know if you have any questions.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Grd, you can pick up an oral syringe from most chemists, that would enable you to do up in your liquid by 2ml and get a much more accurate measurement, maybe get a 5 or 10ml oral syringe, my chemist gives them out for free, otherwise you will be able to pick them up online.

good luck and be sure to report on how you are doing with it
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

im still scared of taking the fish oil but really want to try it, my pills are 300 combined dha and epa, do you think I should just go ahead and try a whole one or should I pop it and take half, and if I take half is there something I can put in on/in or should I just close my eyes and think of england and take it as it is ugh!?

my symptoms seem to have settled down a little, well there not changing from one severe symptom to another anyway and i seem to have entered a phase of bad everyday yes but no so unstable...this suggests to me that it may be time to start.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

article on myelin repair using antibodies

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1009071117.htm

stimualting myelin repair

http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/neur-sc...er/029728.html

Iggy – Ha ha! Think of England…and Empire while you’re at it.

300 seems like a nice, low amount for you to start on. Why don’t you take it whenever you think is the best time of day for you, with food, and then Think Of Omega -- and all the wonderful things that Omega-3 does. :) And don’t go up again for at least two weeks.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Omega-3: Part I: Neuroprotective and psychoactive effects

….has been posted….

http://neuroscienceandpsi.blogspot.c...ctive-and.html

In this essay, we are going to focus on the neuroprotective and psychoactive properties of Omega-3. We will sample some of the recent research evidence, and then survey the historical evidence that humans have intuitively recognized the health properties of Omega-3-containing fish.

-- Holger Kalweit

great essay, thanks sheila

One more benefit of Omega-3;

Get rid of your acne naturally with fish oil supplementation

There may be a safe, reliable and natural way to treat moderate and severe cases of acne: Supplementation with omega-3-rich fish oil.

Acne occurs when a substance known as sebum builds up and combines with dead skin cells. This clogs the skin's pores, producing inflammation and infection, which we recognize as acne.

Sebum is a natural substance that the body produces to keep the skin and other tissues (such as the hair) moist and supple. Sebum can build up due to poor hygiene - producing oily skin and hair - but many other underlying conditions can also lead to sebum overproduction and acne. For example, hormonal imbalances (especially high levels of androgens) and stress both cause the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum. Bacterial infection can also increase the risk of acne, as can oxidative stress to the skin. Finally, while scientists have been unable to link any specific foods to acne, it is widely believed that poor diet can exacerbate the stresses that produce the condition.

Abundant anecdotal evidence supports the idea that increasing the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in your diet could improve skin health and lead to a reduction in acne. In addition, correlational studies have shown that rates of acne are significantly lower among communities with a higher omega-3 consumption than among communities getting less of the essential fatty acid. So far, however, few experimental trials have been conducted to back up these reports.

Study: Supplementation reduces acne severity

One study into the effectiveness of fish oil supplementation was conducted by researchers from California State Polytechnic University Pomona and published in the journal Lipids in Health and Disease in December 2012. The researchers assigned 13 people who were suffering from inflammatory acne to supplement their normal diets and acne remedies with 3 g of fish oil per day (containing 930 mg of EPA).

After 12 weeks, acne symptoms had improved in eight of the participants, but had actually worsened in the other four. Notably, however, seven of the eight participants who showed improvement had suffered from "moderate to severe" acne at the start of the study, while three of the four whose symptoms worsened had suffered from "mild" acne. These mixed results suggest that further studies are needed to determine exactly which types of acne respond most positively to fish oil supplementation.

"There is some evidence that fish oil supplementation is associated with an improvement in overall acne severity, especially for individuals with moderate to severe acne," the researchers concluded.

Why your skin benefits from omega-3s

Fish oil is high in essential omega-3 fatty acids, which have been proven to have numerous health benefits. One of the most well-established benefits to omega-3s is their potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Since both inflammation and oxidative stress play a key role in the development of acne, it makes sense that an increased omega-3 intake could reduce the severity of the condition.

In addition, omega-3s (particularly DHA) have also been shown to help reduce mental distress including anxiety, depression and stress. This may be another explanation for their acne-fighting benefits, since stress is a major contributor to acne.

Beyond omega-3s, fish oil also contains bioactive chemicals called prostaglandins. Among other functions, the prostaglandins produced by your body help regulate the skin's production of sebum.

Of course, the health benefits of omega-3s don't stop with fighting acne. A substantial body of scientific evidence supports the benefits of omega-3s for reducing heart attacks, inflammation, blood pressure and the risk of numerous chronic diseases.

Other than fish oil, you can find omega-3s in flax seeds, chia seeds, purslane, kiwi fruit and canola oil.

http://www.naturalnews.com/040764_om...reatments.html
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

By the way, my sleep problems that one night were most likely unrelated to the fish oil. But I still take it earlier in the day now.
    Acceptance. Time. Habit.