Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Apple Cider Vinegar for Upset Stomach and More

Just wanted to pass along a very important message about Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV).

ALWAYS make sure that you brush your teeth after ingesting ACV, even when diluting in water. Apparently it is very hard on the teeth and so you want to protect your teeth from the very acidic nature of the vinegar.

A thought just occurred to me though regarding other forms of vinegar. I would image that even white vinegar would be hard on the teeth as well as red and white wine vinegar etc.

Anyway, best to brush your teeth shortly after ingesting vinegars.

Samsara
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Thought I'd better post the article I had in my files to support what I had mentioned in my above post.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/52...-tooth-enamel/

Is Apple Cider Vinegar Bad for Tooth Enamel?

Sep 1, 2011 | By Brynne Chandler

Vinegar, particularly raw apple cider vinegar, may help regulate blood sugar levels when taken before starchy meals. But, every silver lining has a cloud, and the acids in vinegar, while offering many health benefits, can also do serious damage. The acids in apple cider vinegar can wear away the enamel on your teeth, but there are ways to ensure that you get the full benefits of taking vinegar as a supplement without any of the drawbacks.

Tooth Enamel

Tooth enamel is comprised of layers. The inner, softer layer is called dentin. On top of that is the shiny, harder enamel. Enamel is largely made up of a mineral called calcium phosphate, which is similar to the calcium carbonate that makes up pearls and the seashells that enclose them. Tooth enamel is also made of a protein called amelogenin. Just as a pearl will dissolve in wine vinegar, your tooth enamel will start to erode if constantly assaulted with pure vinegar.

Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider vinegar is usually made from organic apples. They are pressed and strained, and the juice is fermented. Raw apple cider vinegar is rich in nutrients like calcium, potassium, ash, malic acid and acetic acid. These acids can damage your tooth enamel with repeated exposure over time.

Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits

The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar is known to help regulate your body’s insulin response to starchy foods. When you eat something with a high glycemic index like white bread or polished rice, your body converts the starch into sugar. High glycemic index foods produce a lot of sugar, so your pancreas sends out insulin to round up the extra sugar and store it. The more sugar in your system, the more insulin is needed, and it is possible to secrete so much that your liver cannot process it. Vinegar helps slow the insulin response -- though the exact mechanism is not understood.

Precautions

Dilute apple cider vinegar in a 1-to-10 concentration with juice, water or tea. This is important to keep the malic and acetic acids from burning your mouth and throat, as well as to protect your tooth enamel. Mix apple cider vinegar with olive oil for use as a salad dressing. The olive oil will both dilute the vinegar and coat your teeth, making a protective layer between your enamel and the acids. Always rinse your mouth and brush your teeth after consuming apple cider vinegar.

References
    • University of California San Francisco; Tooth Enamel: Nature’s Crowning Achievement; Jeffrey Norris; August 9, 2010
    • Go Ask Alice!; Apple Cider Vinegar; April 2010
    Article reviewed by Brigitte Espinet Last updated on: Sep 1, 2011

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/52...#ixzz249NIWAXx
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

One more important point. Not sure if I mentioned this but grocery store bought apple cider vinegar is not the same as RAW (ORGANIC) Apple Cider Vinegar. You want to purchase the "RAW" form since it contains many more benefits (as mentioned in one of the above articles).

Many people purchase the following brand make: "Braggs" .......Raw, Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar

Thank you, Sam.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Apple Cider Vinegar for Tooth Aches, Abscesses etc.

Thought I'd share these anecdotal reports.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/tooth_abscess.html

[YEA] 01/18/2008: Vicky from Victoria, BC, Canada: "I had read about all of the ailments that could be treated by Apple Cider Vinegar and decided to try it for a bad case of Athlete's Foot. I used it for about 6 weeks and the problem cleared up completely. A couple of months later, I chipped a piece of a filling from my tooth. Within a couple of days, the tooth started to ache. I remembered how the Apple Cider Vinegar had killed the bacteria from my feet so I decided to start taking it internally to kill bacteria from the inside out. It immediately started to reduce the pain in my tooth. Within 3 weeks, my toothache was completed gone. I still haven't gone to a dentist to get it fixed. I just keep taking my ACV!"

[YEA] 07/16/2010: Diana from Bragg Creek, Ab Canada replies: "I have been taking ACV for other issues, and have had some pretty serious issues with an abscessed and cracked tooth I cannot afford to get fixed. They hurt and I was getting bumps in my gums from the infection. . . Then it stopped, but I had no idea of any connection. . . I ran out of ACV last week, and sure enough, I was having issues with my teeth again. I bought an organic brand ACV this morning drank 2 tbs in water, and had another dose this evening, the infection is almost gone again. I always take 2tbs of ACV in water in the morning and late afternoon for general good health reasons, but the tooth thing is a wonderful bonus. Who would have ever guessed."

[YEA] 05/12/2011: Jennifer from Sunrise, Fl replies: "Same results for me! I had a bad toothache in my decayed wisdom tooth, with a slightly swollen right cheek and a general feeling of fatigue and malaise. The symptoms lasted for almost 2 weeks and didn't get better. I went to my doctor to ask for some antibiotics and they turned me away, telling me I needed to see a dentist. I went to my dentist and they said they could pull the tooth at the end of the month. Desperate and in pain, I tried almost every remedy on this page - oil pulling, oil of oregano, coconut oil (internally and swishing), garlic (tried minced and fresh garlic), hydrogen peroxide, vitamin E... Nothing worked at all. I felt some temporary relief after oil pulling and swishing with hydrogen peroxide that would last about 30 minutes before the pain started to return. Orajel worked for maybe 20 minutes.

I had given up and decided to take apple cider vinegar internally to help with the feeling of malaise (swishing with apple cider vinegar did not help my toothache either). Immediately I felt some relief in the tooth pain. Within about an hour or two the pain had diminished by half. I just thought it was a fluke and stopped taking the apple cider vinegar. The pain came back and lasted for about 2 days. Desperate, I tried the apple cider vinegar again, this time taking it about 2 or 3 times a day. The pain went away completely in 2 days - what a miracle! The pain hasn't come back since. I take ACV maybe once every few days. I have a surgery scheduled to remove my wisdom teeth, but in the meantime, this has been a lifesaver. I wouldn't have thought that taking this internally would help, but it makes sense because most toothaches are due to bacterial infections in the tooth or gum - and ACV is great at getting rid of bacteria infections. By the way, I use the organic kind with the "mother". I've found it is much more effective than other brands.

One last note - if you are having a severe toothache or abcess, please go see your dentist. A dentist won't kill you, but an untreated abcess can. Just bite the bullet and go see your dentist... Even if you don't have health insurance, you might be able to find a dental school near you that offers discounted or free services. Best wishes!!"