Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apple Cider Vinegar for Upset Stomach and More

Apple Cider Vinegar for an Upset Stomach

http://www.livestrong.com/article/50...upset-stomach/

Jul 25, 2011 | By Jennifer Andrews

Apple cider vinegar is produced from cider or old, crushed apples to create a vinegar that is yellow-brownish in color. Unlike clear vinegar, apple cider vinegar contains living nutrients and bacteria that are visible as sediment when settled at the bottom of a bottle. Enzymes that are produced during the fermentation process of making raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is believed to have several health benefits, according to Kimberly Snyder, CNS and author of "The Beauty Detox Solution."

In addition to possibly alleviating acne, blood pressure and reducing cholesterol, the vinegar is believed to aid in decreasing digestive upsets. According to MayoClinic.com, apple cider vinegar may actually pose health problems for some individuals and use should be consulted with a health professional to avoid health risks.

Upset Stomach

Authors Earl Mindell and Larry M. Johns who penned "Amazing Apple Cider Vinegar" advocate using the vinegar to alleviate an upset stomach caused by indigestion. The suggested remedy consists of mixing 1 cup of warm water with 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp. of honey. This mixture may also help alleviate cramping and discomfort from gas. Although a simple sugar, honey is believed to enhance the benefits of cider vinegar since it is rich in essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals such as carbohydrates, phosphorus, potassium and iron.

Heartburn

Apple cider vinegar may help alleviate discomfort caused by acid reflux, or heartburn. Cal Orey, author of "The Healing Powers of Vinegar" writes that people who have low acid levels in their stomach are more likely to experience heartburn than those with a healthy balance. Decrease the risks of acid reflux by mixing 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and drink prior to each meal up to three times a day, Orey advises.

Low-Fat Irritant

Foods that are high in fats and oils can increase stomach irritation and acidity leading to an upset stomach. Raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is fat free, contains zero to negible calories per serving and no refined sugars that can cause discomfort, bloating, cramps or flatulence according to "The Healing Powers of Vinegar." The vinegar makes a suitable alternative to high-fat sauces or creams that are made from butter or mayonnaise as well as spicy seasonings such as hot peppers and cayenne. Mix cider vinegar with a small serving of olive oil and fresh herbs for a simple seasoning to top salads or lean meats.

Considerations

Although apple cider vinegar is claimed to have several health benefits, more research is needed before such benefits can be fully substantiated. Individuals will vary in their response to different foods as well leading to differing results. Furthermore, apple cider vinegar may interfere with prescribed medications that could lead to ill health effects. Consult with a physician prior to adding the vinegar to your diet. Eating a healthy diet that is nutrient-rich, low in unhealthy fats and processed foods along with lifestyle modifications will aid in long-term relief from digestive upsets.

References
    • MayoClinic.com: Weight Loss: Apple Cider Vinegar For Weight Loss: Effective?
    • "The Beauty Detox Solution"; Kimberly Snyder, CNS; 2011
    • "Amazing Apple Cider Vinegar"; Earl Mindell & Larry M. Johns; 1999
    • "The Healing Powers of Vinegar"; Cal Orey; 2009
    Article reviewed by Tina Boyle Last updated on: Jul 25, 2011

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/50...#ixzz23uwJnOSm
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Please note that the above article mentions a possible contraindication that can occur when combining apple cider vinegar with certain medications. It may be prudent to consult your doctor, pharmacist and/or conduct further research.

This remedy (apple cider vinegar (ACV) may be best suited for those who have completed their taper and are drug free. It may not be advisable for those who are still tapering their medication(s).

Even those of us who are currently drug free may develop negative reactions to, not only apple cider vinegar but to any type of food or beverage etc. So many of us develop food sensitivities post taper or post C/T so it's best to proceed with caution and perhaps introduce any new food in less than recommended amounts.

For example, if ONE teasp. of apple cider vinegar is recommended then it may be best to start off with 1/4 teasp for a week or so and then gradually increase to 1/2 teasp etc.

To find out recommended daily doses of apple cider vinegar and other home remedies you can access the following web site www.earthclinic.com It's an excellent resource where people share and give feed back.

With all that said, ALWAYS conduct further independent research, for any given remedy, so you are informed about the possible risks or dangers, especially herbs and products that have psychoactive properties.

Samsara
    Last edited by Luc; 08-19-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Great info! Thanks a lot, Sam!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Luc, have you been taking apple cider vinegar? I have just 1 teaspoon a day. At present naseau is okay but next time time I get it or indigestion or heart burn, etc I will stop it and see what happens!

I have done more research on it - it has great properties. I started taking it today.

Dear IAWP Founders..........

I just noticed that I made an error in post #2 in the second last paragraph. I had provided a link "earthlink.com" which is INCORRECT. It needs to be replaced with the following:

www.earthclinic.com

I hope you will be able to edit this post. Thank You!

Samsara

Fixed, Sam. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Fixed, Sam. :)
    Thank you so much Luc!!

i found the good page, i am used

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    i found the good page, i am used
    Great Stan!